Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 11:14:11 -0800
From:      Bart Trzynadlowski <trzy@powernet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Modem problem (out-of-the-blue)

Hello,

	I've been using FreeBSD for quite some time. But a few months ago, my
SupraExpress 288i PnP modem just stopped working under FreeBSD. I had made
neither hardware nor software configuration changes. The symptoms:

- I use ppp to connect, it says it has connected (ppp turns to PPP, "Packet
mode detected") but   programs such as fetchmail, lynx, netscape, etc. just
can't connect to anything.
- I try: echo "atdtXXXXXXX" >/dev/cuaa2 (using my other home phone #) but
the modem does nothing -- there are no messages either. It just does nothing.

At first I dismissed it as an isolated incident, I stopped using FreeBSD
after it for several months... because I was caught up in a project in
Win95, but when I returned to FreeBSD, the problem lingered. My ISP
maintains they did not change anything on their side, and it should still
work. It does work under Win95...

I simply don't know where to go from here. My friend has had the exact same
problem (but with another, more reliable modem) and I've heard from yet
another person with the same problem (with a Powerbit modem). None of us
has been able to resolve the issue.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Bart Trzynadlowski