Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 07:53:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        japayne@vt.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multibooting with WindowsNT 4.0

In a previous message, Jason Payne said:
> I recently tried to install FreeBSD version 2.1.5 however during the
> installation I aksed it to not write to my master boot record because I
> have the WindowsNT boot loader there that allows me to boot into NT, 95
> and MS-DOS 6.22  However it wrote a new MBR anyway and then I could not
> recover any of my microsoft installations.  Do you have any suggestions
> on what to do for my next installation ? I had to fix this error by
> reformatting my harddrive, I would rather not have to do that again.
> Thanks.

Well, you jumped the gun, as near as I can tell.
The NT boot loader doesn't reside in the MBR.
You could have just used the DOS fdisk with the
undocumented /MBR option to restore the standard boot block.
Set NT to the active partition then use the NT utility bootpart
(available at ftp.cdrom.com in the NT disk area), or follow the
instructions in the FreeBSD Handbook.

--
The air!  Man has visions of flight - not the raoring progress
of heavy sinking machines, but that silent loveliness of glid-