Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 11:24:58 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Dennis Glatting <dennis.glatting@software-munitions.com>, freebsd-stable@frebsd.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pgm to kill 4.3 via vm

* Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> [010507 10:59] wrote:

> Indeed, this is an interesting area. In the process of
> researching how to best implement this for Linux I have
> found various reasons why both FreeBSD's and NetBSD's
> load control systems cannot work in various realistic
> scenarios.
>
> The next step is designing a load control system that
> does work (not too hard) and having a reliable way of
> detecting when exactly the system is thrashing (next
> to impossible?).
>
> I'll make a detailed writeup of exactly why FreeBSD's
> load control system cannot work and will post it to
> arch@freebsd.org and linux-mm@kvack.org soon... ;)

You might as well not bother unless you're actually going to provide
code that fixes the issue.

For some reason banning you from the irc channel hasn't convinced
you that complaining without providing patches isn't the way we do
things around here.

Anyhow, since you do seem to code a bit for Linux you might want
to take a shot at fixing the Linux code.  Last I checked, given
enough time (30 minutes or so) FreeBSD recovers from such situations
while Linux wets the bed and requires a power cycle.

thank you and good bye,
-Alfred