Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 2006 11:49:23 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Russell Shaw <rjshaw@netspace.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 07:34:29PM +1000, Russell Shaw wrote:
> Dejan Lesjak wrote:
> >On Monday 05 June 2006 11:08, Russell Shaw wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>Most distros have switched to Xorg, but i want to use XFree86 (i'm adding
> >>features to it). I'll migrate from Debian-sid to FreeBSD if things are
> >>suitable.
> >>
> >>I find Xorg has gone backwards by creating all kinds of build dependencies
> >>on the host environment by using Autoconf and dpkg.
> >>
> >>If i use XFree86, will any of the ports package dependencies complain
> >>about
> >>not having Xorg?
> >
> >Packages will complain, ports shouldnt though. You need to set
> >X_WINDOW_SYSTEM variable in make.conf (see
> >http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/x.html#XFREE86-VERSION).
>
> Hi,
> I read that part before.
>
> I'm unfamiliar with FreeBSD, but have been reading about it for a few hours.
>
> When you say packages will complain, will they stop when i use
>
>   X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xfree86-4
>
> and most things that rely on X will be happy?

No, the pre-built binary packages have all been compiled against Xorg, and
will therefore complain if you have XFree86 installed.

If you build packages yourself using the ports system it should work fine
with either Xorg or Xfree86.

(Packages are just pre-compiled ports, so you are not really losing anything
except some time by using the ports system directly.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson