Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:15:35 -0400
From:      beno <zope@2012.vi>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   DIOCADDALTQ: Invalid argument

Thank you for all of your comments and help.

According to my googling, this error is thrown when one has too many cbq
classes. The limit, apparently, is 256. I don't have 1/20th of that
limit, so I must be doing something else wrong. Here is the part of my
pf.conf file in question:

# class-based queueing (cbq)
altq on $ext_if cbq bandwidth 3Mb queue { ssh, standard }
 queue ssh bandwidth 500Kb cbq(default) { ssh_login, ssh_bulk }
  queue ssh_login bandwidth 100Kb cbq(default)
  queue ssh_bulk bandwidth 400Kb cbq(borrow, priority 2)
 queue standard bandwidth 2500Kb cbq(ecn, priority 2) { http, ftp,
email, other }
  queue http bandwidth 1900Kb cbq(default) (ecn, borrow)
  queue ftp bandwidth 200Kb cbq(ecn, borrow, priority 2)
  queue email bandwidth 200Kb cbq(ecn, priority 3)
  queue other bandwidth 200Kb cbq(ecn, priority 2)

I have these options loaded in my kernel:

# Packet Filters
device pf
device pflog
device pfsync
options         ALTQ
options         ALTQ_CBQ        # Class Bases Queuing (CBQ)
options         ALTQ_RED        # Random Early Detection (RED)
options         ALTQ_RIO        # RED In/Out
options         ALTQ_HFSC       # Hierarchical Packet Scheduler (HFSC)
options         ALTQ_PRIQ       # Priority Queuing (PRIQ)

According to the tutorial, one cannot have more than one default per
queue, which I am (perhaps mistakenly) interpreting to mean that one can
(and I presume should) have one default per queue and per sub-queue,
since they are nested and therefore semi-autonomous/independent. I am
admittedly confused concerning priq and priority.
TIA,
beno