Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 22:16:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        vcheung@canada.com (Victor Cheung)
Cc:        marcus@miami.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ERROR 22: PANIC: CANNOT MOUNT ROOT (2)

Victor Cheung wrote,
> Hi, thanks for your help!  Your suggestion sounds great but how do I create
> this loader.rc file when I can't even boot into the unix OS?  Is there a
> way to create/edit this loader.rc file without first having to boot
> successfully into FreeBSD?  Sorry, but I'm kinda new to this..

If it is a problem with the bootstrapper finding your partition, you
can tell BootEasy where to look at the 'boot:' prompt. If you did not
install BootEasy as your bootstrap, boot off of a FreeBSD
bootfloppy. At the boot prompt, I believe you would specify the
secondary slave IDE drive as (someone catch me if I mess it up),

1:wd(3,a)

This should boot the kernel, then you can make the modifications
suggested.