Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:09:05 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Chris Pearce <ferox@paradise.net.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is ADSL modem + NAT the same as an ADSL Router?

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:36:13AM +1300, Chris Pearce wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm setting up a network to share an ADSL connection,
> and I'm wondering about the difference between a regular
> ADSL modem and an ADSL router.
>
> My plan was to have a FreeBSD box acting as a
> gateway for the LAN, but I'm not sure whether a router
> or a regular modem is required.
>
> I already have a hub, so if I put a regular ADSL modem
> in the FreeBSD box running NAT, connect it to the hub,
> and configure it as a gateway, will it work? What would be
> different if I had a router? What do they do differently?
>
> The guys at the shops tell me that I need a router,
> but then again, it's sales people telling me that... I tried
> to STFW, but all I got was people trying to sell me
> modems.
>
> Can someone help?

You just need a modem.  ADSL/cable routers do pretty much exactly what the
FreeBSD box + hub setup you've described will do, with a lot more
flexibilty.

Just make sure you get an ADSL modem that works with FreeBSD.  Anything
that connects over Ethernet should work (although you may need to set up
PPPoE as well).  I believe some USB-connected models can be convinced to
work, too.  Anything else is likely to be a non-starter.

HTH,

	Scott