Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 13:41:05 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Chris Mason <mason@suse.com>
Cc:        Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU>, Parity Error <bootup@mail.ru>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, reiserfs-dev@namesys.com
Subject:   Re: [reiserfs-dev] Re: metadata update durability ordering/soft updates

Chris Mason wrote:
> Claim 44 is probably the most difficult, although I think this:
>
> "where said common writes and said function calls have common order
> dependencies CD1, CD2, . . . , CDcd that preserve the update order
> dependencies D1, D2, . . . , Dd between the operations in the requests,
> where cd is an integer, "
>
> Restricts it to systems that preserve the ordering of the requests
> inside the combined common write.  In other words, if I batch
> mkdir foo ; mkdir foo2 into a common write, I think it says that
> mkdir foo will be done first.

I can tell you from my experience with the source code that
this is not true, unless both updates occur in the same
directory entry block of the same directory.

> If this has been discussed in detail already, please drop me a link
> to the mailing list archive.

It has come up on a number of mailing lists in the past;
the FreeBSD mailing lists generally get a snapshot of it
whenever anyone suggests porting ReiserFS to FreeBSD.

Do a search for "ReiserFS" in the FreeBSD mailing list
archives, and you should be able to find it.

Personally, I'd prefer not to discuss it in the level of
detail required for a legal defense against patent claims,
since I believe that ReiserFS would lose, and I'd rather
not be the person manufacturing the bullets for the gun
that shoots it.

Realize that Novell holds the patents that were executed
(such that they could then be assigned) during the time
that USL was owned by Novell.  So SCO buying USL and
Caldera buying SCO doesn't give those patents a "get out
of jail free" card.  8-(.

-- Terry