Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 1997 12:46:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        sysop@mixcom.com (Jeffrey J. Mountin)
Cc:        joa@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VFAT 32 support in msdosfs

> >Is there VFAT32 support in the current msdosfs? If not,m I'd be ready to try
> >and do it..
> >Note: From what I've heared, Windows95 that supports VFAT isn't even shipped
> >any more. So this will probably be dying out soon.. :-)
>
> Really don't know why the bothered with it, even though I do use it.
>
> Much rather have NTFS in 95 with all the little BS files less then 1K.

This would be hard, but not impossible.

You are aware that Windows 95 has a VM bug where it will only attempt
to reclaim a single page at a time from VFAT?  Any FS in there with
VFAT has its work cut out for it; it must do it's own page management,
to a large degree, to get a competitive number of I/O buffers.

MS will not supply NTFS with Windows 95 for two reasons: (1) it performs
very poorly compared to VFAT; NT users who complain about performance
are told by MS to go to VFAT instead, and (2) it is intentionally
omitted because of MS's desire to get product distinction between
Windows NT and Windows 95.  You should read between the lines of the
introduction in the IFS95.DOC file that comes with the DDK.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.