Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 1995 17:37:59 -0400
From:      "Paul F. Werkowski" <pw@snoopy.MV.COM>
To:        vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/printcap for Deskjet 500 and gs

>>>>> "-Vince-" == -Vince-  <vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu> writes:

    -Vince-> 	Hmmm, how is the 540's print quality compared to the
    -Vince-> 560C and also is it better than the 520?

	I haven't seen those at all. I can say that printing .tex
	files via dvips results in quality as good as that
	from a $1500 DEC postscript laser printer (model 5100?)
	but maybe not as fast. Two-up listings are also pretty good
	with just a bit of quantization on the teeny letters.

	I also tried some of the color postscript files in the
	ghostscript examples area: pretty nice for the price.
	This mornings newpaper had an article on paper for jet
	printers and said that the really high quality paper
	makes a huge difference in color print quality. I'm using
	medium grade Hammermill Jetprint (about $7/500).

	Paul