Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 1996 16:37:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Donald J. Maddox" <root@rhiannon.scsn.net>
To:        regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org (Philippe Regnauld)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: X/Mouse/2.1.5 Wierdness

> 	Something  (maybe) related:  if, I  use   X with the  /dev/sysmouse
> 	device which simulates a MouseSystems mouse  through syscons, I get
> 	a strange  behavior: the mouse cursos  becomes  sluggish and almost
> 	impossibly slow (i.e.:  inertia),  especially when forms and  menus
> 	pop-up.
>
> 	Another weirdness is that holding  down the middle mouse button and
> 	moving the mouse makes the cursor move at an accelerated rate !
>
> 	Server: S3 w/diamond 968
> 	Mouse: MouseMan (logitech 3 buttons)
>
> 	Running current as of 12/10.
    Maybe you don't have 'moused' configured correctly?  I have the exact
setup you describe, and it works great since I fixed my config.

    The main points that were biting me were that moused should be pointed
at the port your mouse is attached to (/dev/cuaa0 in my case), but X
should be looking at /dev/sysmouse, and also that the mousetype that
you give to moused should be the actual mousetype that you have (mouseman
in my case), but X will always see a MouseSystems mouse.

    Hope some of this helps you out...

    Here is my config:

    From /etc/sysconfig:

# Set to
# {microsoft|mousesystems|mmseries|logitech|busmouse|mouseman|ps/2|mmhittab}
# to activate system mouse cursor support (or NO for none)
# Use 'vidcontrol -m on' command to activate it on particular screen
mousedtype=mouseman

############## Next block activated only if mousetype != NO ################

# Set to your mouse port (required)
# Use real device here, because /dev/mouse usually linked with /dev/sysmouse
mousedport=/dev/cuaa0

# Moused options:
# -s: 9600 baud mouse
# -c: enable ChordMiddle
# see moused usage info for complete options list
mousedflags=""

    From /etc/XF86Config:

# **********************************************************************
# Pointer section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "MouseSystems"
    Device      "/dev/mouse"

    From /dev:

#ls -l /dev/cuaa0
crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer   28, 128 Oct 20 14:42 /dev/cuaa0
#ls -l /dev/sysmouse
crw-------  1 root  wheel   12, 128 Oct 20 15:21 /dev/sysmouse
ls -l /dev/mouse
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  13 Oct 20 14:41 /dev/mouse -> /dev/sysmouse

                                            Donald J. Maddox
                                            (dmaddox@scsn.net)