Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 23:25:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        jkf@wolfnet.org (Jason K. Fritcher)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot-time scsi probe problem

Jason K. Fritcher wrote...

> Hello. I am trying to get FreeBSD 3.1-Stable to boot reliably on a machine I
> have. It was cvsup'ed from Sunday night about 11pm or so. The system was
> originally installed with the 3.1-19990227 snapshot. I can somewhat reliably
> boot from the generic kernel included with the snapshot, but I can not boot
> at all with a kernel compiled from the cvsup. The problems I am having are
> this. When booting with the generic kernel, the system will boot all the way
> through if I power-cycle the machine, or reboot it with the reset boot,
> basically a cold-boot. If I reboot the machine with a warm boot, ie
> Ctrl-Alt-Del, the system will lockup when it tries to probe the scsi bus for
> devices. It will wait the 15 seconds for things to settle, and then it locks
> one the probe starts. I am forced to use the reset button to restart it.
>
> With the new kernel, when the machine gets to the probe, it does not lock
> up, but the probe doesn't work either. It sits there for a few, and then
> starts giving error messages about timeouts. At the end of the message I
> have included the entire boot sequence for reference.
>
> The hardware I have ia an Asus P2B-LS motherboard with onboard AIC-7890 SCSI
> controller + 3860 bridge. For those not familiar with the P2B-LS, the SCSI
> bus is divided into three segments, a U2W, UW, and UN buses. On the U2W bus
> I have a Quantum Viking II 9.1 GB hard drive in LVD mode, on the UW bus is
> nothing but a terminator, and on the UN bus is a Plextor 40x cdrom drive.
> The hard drive is scsi id 0, and the cdrom is scsi id 6.
>
> After looking through the archives for anything similar, I came across
> similar problems which were caused by termination problems. I have checked
> the termination and all seems well.
>
> Any suggestions about what the cause could and possible solutions would be
> much appriciated. I have spent a good 4-5 hours compiling kernels with
> different options, and reading through list archives to try and solve this
> problem. If there is any more information that anyone needs, or have
> questions, please, write me and I will do what I can.

This sounds and looks like a known problem with the Adaptec 7890 chips.  A
number of people have reported this.

Justin has reproduced the problem (with a lot of help from Tor Egge) and
has a PCI bus trace showing the problem.

He said that there may be a bug in the 7890 that causes it to hang in
certain circumstances; he has mailed Adaptec asking for information.

Since he's not in town at the moment, I wouldn't expect any response from
him on this for a few days.

I suggest that you stick with the kernel that boots for now, if you can.
The hang seems to be timing related in some way, so you might get different
results if you stick your hard disk on the Ultra-Wide bus instead of the
Ultra-2 bus.  Hopefully Justin will be able to come up with a fix for it
before too long.

You also may want to subscribe to the -scsi list, there's a lot less noise
on this list than on many of the other FreeBSD lists.  (for now, at least)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com