Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 13:04:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Charlie Root <vel@ns.kbsu.ru>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ESS 1688 and IPX routing

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Charlie Root wrote:

> I tried pcm0. When booting, kernel finds ESS card as plug and play, and
> says that it will be device pcm1, and pcm0 is not found. However, when I
> make device nodes, all devices are linked to xxx0 (dsp -> dsp0, etc.), not
> xxx1. So, when I tried to play something, kernel said "pcm0: unit not
> configured". I removed those links in /dev and linked all entries to xxx1
> manually.

I need to submit my patch to MAKEDEV that fixes it.  For some reason the
symlinks are ONLY created to unit 0.  If you go into /dev/MAKEDEV and
comment out the if (unit = 0) and fi lines above and below it it'll make
the links automatically.

> After that, when I try to play something, kernel shows strange
> errors, like:
> <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>1 open: device busy
> timeout flushing dbuf_out.chan, cnt 0xff00 flags 0x00004141
> I hear a little noise in speakers at the beginning of play, then hear nothing.
>
> So, my problem is still unresolved :(

Don't configure pcm and sb drivers simultaneously.  If you aren't, I'd
like to see the output of `dmesg' and your kernel config file.

> And, I also have another problem. How to make BSD act as IPX router ?

Set IPXrouted_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.

> I have
> 2 ethernet cards, vx0 and ed0. vx0 is connected to the subnetwork containing
> Netware servers, and ed0 is connected to the small subnetwork containing 1
> machine under DOS. I did "ifconfig vx0 ipx network_num", with network_num
> same as on the Netware servers, and "ifconfig ed0 ipx network_num2", with
> some unique network_num2. Then I ran IPXrouted -s. But, when I run ipx and net6
> on the DOS machine, it doesn't see Netware servers. Maybe I should fill routing
> tables manually, like "route add" for IP ?

I think routed is supposed to figure it out, but it wouldn't hurt to help.