Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 15:29:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ian Moore <imoore@hamcoll.schools.sa.edu.au>
Subject:   Re: Bad sectors on scsi drive

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Ian Moore wrote:

> One of my scsi drive has developed some bad sectors. When I dump to tape
> I get the following:
>   DUMP: read error from /dev/rsd0s1e: Input/output error: [block
> 790880]: count=8192
>   DUMP: read error from /dev/rsd0s1e: Input/output error: [sector
> 790892]: count=512
>
> and in the messages log, these sort of messages:
> > sd0(ahc1:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:11318c asc:11,0 Unrecovered read error, FAILURE
>
> Since it's a SCSI drive, I don't know whether to scan for bad blocks
> (despite what the BDS handbook says)or if I should try something else.
> Any suggestions?
> The drive is a Micropolis 2210

Run the verify scan from the Adaptec BIOS.  Run it a few times.  This
forces the drive to remap those bad blocks.

And consider buying a new disk.  Micropolis drives are famous for bad
error handling and general flakiness (it gets worse as they get newer).
IBM drives, on the other hand, are quite good for the price.

Doug White