Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 98 11:38 +0100
From:      Justin Murdock <justin@vide.coventry.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin, sbin, another bin...

> >Doug (which is not an acronym BTW, so unix or Unix is correct, UNIX is
> >not)

> Hey Doug,

> Remember that bell labs license plate pic? the uh.. greenish one?
> Well, sure as I don't know what, it said UNIX on it ;-)

That'll have been small-caps ...   ;)

> The question at hand:

> Who was the original `inventor' and what flavour was it?
> Also, when did it split onto System V, BSD and all the
> other numerous unixes?

"... The earliest (circa 1969-70) ...
Perhaps the most important achievement of UNIX is to demonstrate that
a powerful operating system for interactive use need not be expensive
either in equipment or in human effort: it can run on hardware costing
as little as $40,000, and less than two man-years were sepent on the
main system software.
... a minimal system capable of running [C, Fortran 77, Snobol, APL,
phototypesetting and equation setting programs, assemler, linking
loader and symbolic debugger,...] can require as little as 96K bytes
of core altogether."
	The UNIX Time-Sharing System, D. M. Ritchie and K. Thompson,
	Copyright 1974, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc.

> I hope this belongs to this list :-)
> (sorry if not)

Me too...