Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:58:38 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@toxic.magnesium.net>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Subject:   Re: [MAILER-DAEMON@magnesium.net: failure notice]

Dan Nelson (dnelson@allantgroup.com) wrote:

> In the last episode (Dec 11), Gary Kline said:
> >
> > 	This is one for the mail (or config) gurus.  It's one of
> > 	several things left.  Can anybody clue me in on howto configure
> > 	mySMTP authentication?
>
> The error is on speakeasy's end.  You have the following servers listed
> as mail exchangers for thought.org:
>
>  $ host -t mx thought.org
>  thought.org mail is handled by 10 ns1.thought.org.
>  thought.org mail is handled by 10 mail.speakeasy.net.
>  thought.org mail is handled by 2 relay1.exodus.net.
>
> Make sure that Speakeasy and Exodus know they they should be backup
> MXes, or else they will bounce your messages.

	Hm.  Well, relay1.exodus.net is probably bogus.  I asked
	Speakeasy (my ISP) and never got a direct answer...
	Here on Magesium.net, I do have a clear okay on using
	them as an MX site.

	The thing is that when  I used mail.magnesium.net, I got
	the same 553 errror.  Also, from

	  http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=thought.org

	I got a FAIL on the postmaster auth entry.

	I did check out speakeasy.net's web site on this; it mumbled
	one like about using sendmail's SASL.  --Sorry, but this is
	seriously out f my league!!  Anybody know what 'SASL' is?
	(I just tweaked my /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file.  It says::

	  Warning: Option: DefaultAuthInfo requires SASL support (-DSASL)
	  Warning: Option: AuthOptions requires SASL support (-DSASL)

	)

	gary

--
Gary Kline  Seattle FBSD Users' Group (seafug)      | kline@magnesium.net