Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:22:03 +0100 (BST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Florin=20Betivoiu?= <flow_of_rhin@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: floppy

Jamie <jamie@gnulife.org> wrote:

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, [iso-8859-1] Florin Betivoiu wrote:

> Hello.
> I am trying to mount a floppy. Don't know what is it that I do wrong,
> cause it doens't work... I have asked for help before, even here, but the
> problem still is not solved :( .
>
> I am using FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE. The same happend with 5.0-RELEASE, but with FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE, floppy worked ok.
>
> This is my uname:
> FreeBSD pony 5.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #0: Wed Sep 24 21:40:11 EEST 2003 root@pony:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/PONY i386
>
> This is what I can see in dmesg:
> fdc0: port 0x3f7,0x3f0-0x3f5 irq 6 drq 2 on acpi0
> fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold
> fd0: <1440-KB 3.5" drive> on fdc0 drive 0
>
> This is what mount says:
> root@pony# mount -t msdosfs /dev/fd0 /mnt/
> msdosfs: /dev/fd0: Input/output error
>
> The first time I asked for help, someone suggested I should do this with
> dd. I must say that if I reboot to Linux, floppy works ok:
> root@pony# dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/null
>
> And this is what hapend:
> dd: /dev/fd0: Input/output error

Sorry Florin, I think I made a mistake in my original reply. You might
want to try this instead:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024

Then you need to create a filesystem on the disk:

mkfs -t ext2 /dev/fd0

Then you can try mounting it:

mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

- Jamie

"A friend is someone who lets you have total freedom to be yourself."

Well... I don't want to write a floppy, just trying to read one. The
situation is I created this floppy on a windows computer and I am
trying to read it on my home computer which has "just" FreeBSD
and Linux.
I did what you suggested:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024
dd: /dev/fd0: Input/output error
:((

Someone else suggested I should try to mount /dev/fd0a, but I
noticed in FreeBSD 5.0 and above /dev/fd0a is a symbolic link to
/dev/fd0.
And someone else suggested the mtools. Those didn't work either.
Trying to "mdir a:" resulted in
Can't open /dev/fd0: Input/output error
Cannot initialize 'A:'
error messages.
Finally, trying to "fdformat -f 1440 /dev/fd0" another good floppy,
resulted in the same I/O error message:
# fdformat -f 1440 /dev/fd0
Format 1440K floppy `/dev/fd0'? (y/n): y
Processing fdformat: ioctl(FD_FORM): Input/output error
When I tryied those things I noticed the floppy doesn't even spins,
just the led lights up for a while.

Florin.