Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:58:11 +0100
From:      Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mikey Galum <recompile2@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: recom for newegg amd64 box?

--nextPart1251287.yoUbo9BDxk

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 04:40, Mikey Galum wrote:
> Can someone recommend a simple reliable amd64
> motherboard that's
> readily available as a bundle or even a prebuilt
> system?

Straightforward, simple, reliable, has worked since 5.1-R? Via KT800 based=
=20
boards, or KT890. How to find those boards? Look for a V in the name :) A8V=
,=20
K8V, that kind of thing. And they're getting harder to find (and come to=20
think of it, might be socket 754 which you don't want).

=46eatureful, can be a total bitch to set up, working nicely in 6.0-R? nFor=
ce4=20
based boards will do, and they're _everywhere_. But do some searching first=
 -=20
the Asus A8N-VM and variants will have you hex-editing BIOS code before it=
=20
will boot anything but Windows in a useful way.

> I would have hoped something like an asus A8N32-sli
> dlx with
> athlon 64x2 3800+ 2x512MB RAM, etc would be nice but I
> haven't
> been able to learn if this is supported.

Half the battle is getting reports for those boards that _do_ work. Not=20
everybody bothers to report them.

=2D-=20
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot