Date:      Thu, 01 Oct 1998 18:51:18 -0400
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, shmit@kublai.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Threading man pages.

Brian Cully <shmit@kublai.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 02, 1998 at 08:07:41AM +1000, John Birrell wrote:
> > That is/was specific to sigwait() and shouldn't be generalized to
> > "signal handling" in general. FWIW, Daniel is one of just a few people
> > who actively contribute to this stuff.
>
> Well, sigsuspend() doesn't appear to work properly, either. But
> I'll need to do some more testing to verify that.

Yes, please do.  And if there still appears to be a problem,
especially with anything my patches broke, send me something
to demonstrate it and I'll be happy to fix it.  I wrote test
programs to test both sigwait and sigsuspend.  You'll find
them in libc_r/uthread/test/sig{suspend|wait}.  If you want,
hack those up to demonstrate the problem.

> That, and there appear to be problems with the way pthread_create
> and fork() interact. After I fork(), I do a bunch of pthread_creates
> and my application just hangs. If I don't fork() everything works
> fine.  Plus, my application works just fine under Solaris 2.6. I'm
> not convinced that it's not my problem, but the code path up to
> that point is pretty simple, and I can't see what the problem is.

Again, give us something to demonstrate the problem and we
can try to fix it.

> > > So I should go ahead and do some man page frobbing?
> >
> > I'm not sure exactly what you're going to frob. Do you have a copy of
> > the POSIX standard to refer to? Remember that POSIX makes a lot of things
> > optional.
>
> I was going to start with the man pages to the various signal
> functions, because that's what I've been dealing with recently.
>
> No, I don't have a copy of the POSIX standard, but I have the
> source, which should tell me everything I need to know (except for
> the parts that don't adhere to the standard, but I was more interested
> in a FreeBSD threads doc, and not a POSIX threads doc, which can
> be added by someone who does have the standard). :-)

I would like a copy of the latest POSIX (threads) standard.  How do we
get these and what version do I want?

Dan Eischen
eischen@vigrid.com