Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:06:34 +0100
From:      "Walter C. Pelissero" <walter@pelissero.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.4-RC freezes during boot

Upgrading to 4.4-RC a couple of new problems have shown up on my
laptop (Vaio PCG-XG9).  Beside the already mentioned NFS panic (see
freebsd-hackers or freebsd-net), now the bootstrap phase freezes
somewhere after:

pcic1: Event mask 0x9

The system seems to be frozen beside that if I remove or insert the
PCMCIA card on that slot I see appear messages of the same type
(sometime the mask is 0x4 or 0x2).  If I switch off the machine
(Ctrl-Alt-DEL doesn't work) and then on, usually the problem goes
away.

I couldn't figure out if the problem is really in the PCCARD driver,
but you may be interested to know that usually after that message,
during a successful bootstrap, I see this one:

ata1-slave: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr

Another problem after the upgrade to 4.4-RC has been a "broken" sound
coming from the speakers.  At boot time the driver says:

pcm0: <Yamaha DS-1E (YMF744)> port 0xfc8c-0xfc8f,0xfcc0-0xfcff mem 0xfedf8000-0xfedfffff irq 9 at device 9.0 on pci0

The playing of MP3 files seems to be all right, but the playing of
mono wav files often results in a small gap short after the beginning
of the sound.  This problem wasn't there in 4.3-STABLE.

--
walter pelissero
http://www.pelissero.org