Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 1996 08:14:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        scsi
Subject:   Re: Setting disk sector size?

> > A friend of mine just turned up with a Tandem disk drive (looks for
> > all the world like an IBM :-) which has 514 byte sectors.  He also has
> > another one with 516 byte sectors.  By all accounts we can change that
> > to 512 with 'scsi -m 3 -p 3 -e', except that the driver gets all
> > uptight about the 514 byte sectors and doesn't get as far as reading
> > the mode page.  scsiformat can report the format, so there must be
> > some way to do read the information, and I suspect there's also a way
> > to set it.  Does anybody have any ideas?
>
>  compile a krnrel without that test in sd.c
> and use that to change the setup..

I tried that before I sent the message.  It hangs (OK, to be more
specific, it times out).  I think that the problem is that scsi tries
to access the disk before it reads the mode page.  scsiformat issues a
direct scsi command, so I assume that I could issue a write command
and write it back.  Unfortunately, I'm on vacation at the moment, and
I don't have any documentation with me.

Greg