Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2001 02:47:21 -0700
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Question about what programs to use in /etc/rc*

Hello everyone.

I am looking at some PRs and I am trying to come up with a solution to
submit a patch. I know how to use expr to test as tring in sh inside
of a /etc/rc* script, but what method would people recommend to remove
part of the string after expr confirmed that something is part of it ?

These are some examples strings:

"dhcp"
"dhcp media 10baseTX"
"media 10baseTX dhcp mediaopt half-duplex"

The following code will get me inside a if condition:

	if [ `expr "${ifconfig_args}" : '.*[Dd][Hh][Cc][Pp].*'` -ne 0 ]; then

	fi

What I would like to do inside the if .. fi is to remove "[Dd][Hh][Cc][Pp]"
from the string so that the rest of the options can be used to call ifconfig.
Otherwise the if .. fi will test if the string is then empty or just white
spaces and if so it will not do anything but set ${dhcp_interfaces}. If its
not empty it will call ifconfig with the extra options to set the interface.

Awk/sed comes to mind but those are in /usr/bin and I am trying to avoid
that.

Any suggestions from the more experienced hackers ?

--
Regards, Ulf.