Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 2019 12:12:45 +0100
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: X11 + i915kms

Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Just did a fresh install of X11 and stuff. I noticed the
> xf86-video-intel is very sluggish unless SNA acceleration mode is
> selected. Do you know anything about this? Maybe make it the default?
> Or should I have used another driver?

FreeBSD disabled SNA by default for compatibility with pre-SandyBridge
on drm-legacy-kmod (previously, in-base drm2), see bug 214593.
SNA is also unstable due to I915_USERPTR_UNSYNCHRONIZED, so you may
need the patch in bug 236003.

While modesetting DDX (part of xorg-server) is recommended over xf86-video-intel
the version in ports/ is very old (may lack some PCI IDs) and may have bugs
with LIBGL_DRI3_ENABLE=1 (upstream default).

So try both.