Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2003 19:01:40 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        WolfRyder <wolfryder@qwest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: need help installing freebsd

On 2003-03-07 08:03, WolfRyder <wolfryder@qwest.net> wrote:
> At 02:34 PM 3/6/03 -0600, scott mcclellan wrote:
>> I wasn't able to get the computer to recognize the CD-ROM. Found
>> out through your site that a great number of units get installed as
>> the slave of the Secondary IDE (mine was, much to my dismay). I've
>> since corrected that problem, I think.

FreeBSD is more picky about cabling and master/slave setup of
devices than other operating systems (like, for instance, the
one from Redmond).

Putting a CDROM as a slave without a master on the secondary
IDE cable is a very common 'mistake' when trying to boot the
installer of FreeBSD.  Fixing the jumpers on the offending
device, be it a disk or a CDROM or anything else, usually
makes things a lot better :)

> I had the same problem and thought I'd fixed it in setup.  Had to
> fiddle with it a few times.  Then, installing on a Maxtor HD, I
> tried the install a few times and it screwed up royally.  [...]
> btw, I now have 2 machines running smoothly with FreeBSD, thanks to
> the help from this list and a few other sources :)

Cool.  That's the spirit!

Patience, when dealing with a new operating system, which is
radically different from what one has dealt with until now,
really *is* a virtue.

- Giorgos

PS: Carol, I no longer have the address of Scott in my -chat folder,
and you haven't Cc:'d the reply to him.  If you think that he might
miss this reply can you check your Outbox and forward this message to
his address?

PS.2: This is one of the reasons why it's a good idea to Cc: the
original sender when posting a reply to a list :-)