Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:06:22 -0500
From:      "Michael A. Smith" <msmith@code-fu.com>
To:        timopie@dodo.com.au, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD support?

 > I am patiently saving money to purchase a laptop, hopefully by the end
 > of this year. I would like to know if there are any laptop
 > manufacturers that specificially support BSD, and by supporting they
 > choose specific default hardware configurations that will give the
 > least problems on BSD.

I have a bottom-of-the-line Sony Vaio (PCG-FX101). I got it new a few
years ago (it's a Celeron 600). I installed FreeBSD on it the day I
brought it home and it's been great.

It was the cheapest Vaio I could get, and doesn't have too many bells
and whistles (no memory stick, but it's got UBS and FireWire, etc...).
Video was never a problem. Sound was supported in the FreeBSD version
released just after I bought it. I'm running 4.9-STABLE on it now and
everything's supported but the modem (it sees the FireWire bus, but I've
never used it).

I'd suggest looking for slightly older hardware -- stuff that's in the
middle of the price range or lower. It has a better chance of being
supported, and is cheaper. I'd definitely recommend my Vaio.

--
Michael A. Smith <msmith@code-fu.com>
Programmer at Large