Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:15:25 +1000
From:      das@mbox.com.au
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What raid controler for FreeBSD and Windows

The 3ware IDE raid controllers seem to be the best performace for your
dollar.  FreeBSD guys have ported the drivers, and guys in the stable
list seems to be having a pretty good time with them.  Mike Smith (in
stable) has been having a few problems, but he's seriously flogging the
card (30,000 inserts to a MySQL database, it craps out after 8 hours
flat out).

I've just had the International Sales guy visit and he impressed me.
They are attacking Adaptec market hard.

There 32 bit board (64bit comming soon) have upto 10 IDE ATA66 seperate
controllers.  Unlike most RAID controllers the mirrored disks are
actually used to speed up the read times (reading a bit form each disk,
qued up reads).  Through put rates are very good.  Check the site.

Also check 'www.storeagereview.com'.

Google use these cards, so they must be ok for large amounts of data
and speed.

Anyway, just a suggestion...

dave seddon