Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 12:45:54 +0100
From:      "Christopher Martin at Home" <psycho@keyworld.net>
To:        "Ronald Wiplinger" <ronald@trace.net.tw>, "FreeBSD-isp" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <info@keyworld.net>
Subject:   Re: Multi port Ethernet card and Bandwidth Management Techniques

This is very important for ISPs and I hope to receive some good feedback
from this forum.

Emerging  technologies have got a Bandwidth Management Software.

Costs around 500 USD per interface and each licence is coded to the
ethernet address of the interface. Why don't you have a look at the
http://www.etinc.com page? It is ET-BWMGR.

Have installed it and am currently using it. It also has a burst manager,
but we have not really had the timeto experiment and I have some serious
doubts about how much thought bandwidth management solution providers are
putting into the requirements of ISPs.

Amongst the issues that are not addressed are:
1. Why drop packets when the retransmissions may cause greater problems and
result in a negative effect on customers using bandwidth right to the
limits of their contracts?
2. Usually demand is much greater than the available bandwidth. So there
are going to be collisions anyway.
3. Has anyone thought about the need of limiting tcp sessions on permanent
connection contracts? BT do it.
4. Has anyone thought about the need of limiting bandwidth per port?

There is a lot of talk but experience is that much is in beta to the third!
:-)

Has anyone used Aponet's ABM-10/100 (http://www.aponet.com) or the
Packeteer from Packeteer Inc.?

I would greatly appreciate if we could use this as a forum for discussing
bandwdith management techniques. It is still a very novel thing, but being
ISPs using packet switching tech, we do not really go ATM and QOS etc from
Cisco is still quite new. Any suggestions, experiences, things to avoid or
look out for?

Chris

> From: Ronald Wiplinger <ronald@trace.net.tw>
> To: FreeBSD-isp <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Multi port Ethernet card
> Date: Friday, March 27, 1998 1:57 AM
>
> Has anybody a multi port Ethernet card in use and can so say for sure it
is working with FreeBSD (and for
> BSDi ???)
>
> I want to build a smart hub, where I want to use as much as possible of
such ports, and the old quad router