Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 14:54:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        leo@talcom.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Learning C on FreeBSD...

>Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:33:08 -0400
>From: Leo Papandreou <leo@talcom.net>

>> The Kernighan/Ritchie book _is_ the authorative source for C.

[I left the above in for emphasis; though I didn't write it, I tend to
agree with the perspective.  dhw]

>You may as well pick up Programming in the Unix Environment by the
>same authors, too. It will introduce you to the shell, make, sed,
>awk, lex, yacc, etc. There is even a section on the unix text formatting
>tools in case you want to document your programs to be understood by
>the man command.

>Slim, inexpensive and highly recommended.

I *believe* that the above is intended to refer to _The UNIX Programming
Environment_, by (Brian) Kernighan & (Rob) Pike.  (It's also published
by Prentice-Hall.)  I also recommend it highly -- I've bought 3 copies
of it so far (and am not inclined to loan that book out again), though
it tends to be not very BSD-specific (the authors were at Bell Labs,
after all), and is a little dated in some respects (mostly, in not
referencing tools that have become in vogue since the book was written,
such as Perl).

The book also has a somewhat subtle bit of self-reference in the text;
at the time I first encountered it, I had not yet actually had the
opportunity to work with a UNIX system (March, 1985, if I recall
correctly)... and I was sufficiently bemused/perplexed/puzzled by this
that I wrote a note to the authors.

A few weeks later, I received an envelope from AT&T Bell Labs with my
note enclosed... and some writing (in blue ink), in which the writer
indicated that yes, they had worked fairly hard to pull that bit of
self-reference off... and thanking me for "careful reading".  The
signature appeared to be that of Brian Kernighan.

(Last time I saw Rob Pike was, I believe, at a USENIX conference at the
Town & Country, in San Diego a few years ago.  As I recall, he was wearing
red shoes....)

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621