Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 13:26:09 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        "Jeff W." <dmt@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: checking amount of disk space left?

On Tue, Aug 18, 1998 at 07:28:57PM -0700, Jeff W. wrote:
> I know it's a very simple command, but I can't figure out how to do it =)

Here's how you figure it out :-)
Throw likely sounding words at apropos and see what it comes up with, e.g.

  apropos disk
or
  apropos free
or
  apropos space

will list various commands with their descriptions, including 'df'.

The man page is your next port of call, and if that makes no sense try
a unix book or some of the many online guides out there (see links from
the newbies web page or handbook), but at least apropos will show you
what you're looking for.

I used a unix system for months without realising that those commands
existed. I used to make multiple copies of large files and wait for the
error message, then use ls and add up the file sizes on paper before
deleting them and using the space. Yeah, well, some idiot told me that
unix is hard so I expected it to be :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-