Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:30:23 -0600
From:      "Scott Hansen" <shansen@astound.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Networking Troubles w/ 2 interfaces using IPFW and NATD

Hi all -

I've recently setup 3.4-stable and am trying to get back into the FreeBSD
world after having fallen behind the last 3 years.  I have two NIC's in my
box that I hope to be able to do NAT with so I can setup multiple PC's at
home.  My connection to the Internet is with a cable modem connection from
my ISP. I have been successful in getting it DHCP functionality to work to
obtain an IP address from my ISP on this box.  I have the internal interface
working perfectly.

I'm now in the process of trying to setup NATD to run.  For the life of me I
can not figure out what I'm doing wrong...but I can not get the external
interface to work.  I can obtain an address just fine from the DHCP
server...so I know the interface is working to some extent, but I can not
ping any host by IP what-so-ever.

I've recompiled the kernel to include the IPFIREWALL and IPDIVER options.

I've issued the sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 command to enable the box
to act as a router and added "gateway_enable='YES'", "natd_enable='YES'",
and "natd_interface='xl0'" to the rc.conf file.

I've added the "natd  6668/divert" entry to my /etc/services file.

I've added "/sbin/ipfw -f flush", "/sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any
to any via xl0", and "/sbin/ipfw/add pass all from any to any" to my
/etc/rc.firewall file.

I've issued the firewall=client sh /etc/rc.firewall command.

Any ideas on some additional steps to try or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

-Scott