Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2023 01:22:32 +0100
From:      Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com>
To:        Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Pinebook Pro?

--000000000000b4de4905f6a8ff1f

Hello.

you could try to install linux natively on it and then virtualize freebsd
with qemu + kvm on / for  arm64. This is what I would like to do if I
bought one of those.

On Sun, Mar 12, 2023 at 1:16=E2=80=AFAM Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org> wrote=
:

> Hello,
> I recently bought a Pinebook Pro, but I haven't been able to get it
> to run FreeBSD reliably.  I can get it to boot, but usually the display
> loses sync shortly after the kernel starts booting.  The display is
> sometimes readable enough for text so I have experimented with it a
> little.  It seemed to run well enough for a while but I have had it lock
> up a couple of times.
>
> I have used the RockPro64 images with the u-boot-pinebookpro applied as
> directed.  I have tried FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE, 13.2-RC2, and 14.0-CURRENT
> and all of them have the same problem.  The Pinebook Pro works well with
> the supplied Manjaro and with an Armbian version of Xubuntu.  I also
> tried NetBSD, and that works but runs the battery down much too fast.
>
> I assume others have run it since there is a u-boot for it, but maybe
> recent versions are different than older versions.  Has anybody else
> gotten FreeBSD to work with recent versions of the Pinebook Pro?
>
> Thanks for any information.
> --
> Carl Johnson            carlj@peak.org

--=20
Mario.

--000000000000b4de4905f6a8ff1f

all linux natively on it and then virtualize freebsd with qemu + kvm on / f=
or=C2=A0 arm64. This is what <span lang=3D"en">I would like to do if I boug=
dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Mar 12, 2023 at 1:16=E2=80=AFAM Ca=
rl Johnson &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:carlj@peak.org" target=3D"_blank">carlj@pe=
argin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left=
:1ex">Hello,<br>
I recently bought a Pinebook Pro, but I haven&#39;t been able to get it<br>
to run FreeBSD reliably.=C2=A0 I can get it to boot, but usually the displa=
y<br>
loses sync shortly after the kernel starts booting.=C2=A0 The display is<br=

sometimes readable enough for text so I have experimented with it a<br>
little.=C2=A0 It seemed to run well enough for a while but I have had it lo=
ck<br>
up a couple of times.<br>
I have used the RockPro64 images with the u-boot-pinebookpro applied as<br>
directed.=C2=A0 I have tried FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE, 13.2-RC2, and 14.0-CURRE=
NT<br>
and all of them have the same problem.=C2=A0 The Pinebook Pro works well wi=
th<br>
the supplied Manjaro and with an Armbian version of Xubuntu.=C2=A0 I also<b=
r>
tried NetBSD, and that works but runs the battery down much too fast.<br>
I assume others have run it since there is a u-boot for it, but maybe<br>
recent versions are different than older versions.=C2=A0 Has anybody else<b=
r>
gotten FreeBSD to work with recent versions of the Pinebook Pro?<br>
Thanks for any information.<br>
-- <br>
Carl Johnson=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 <a href=3D"mailto:car=
lj@peak.org" target=3D"_blank">carlj@peak.org</a><br>
r">Mario.<br></div>

--000000000000b4de4905f6a8ff1f--