Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:02:27 +0200
From:      "Peter van Heusden" <pvh@schoolnet.org.za>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Adding support for Duxbury PCI modem to FreeBSD 4.4

Hi all

I've just installed FreeBSD 4.4, and also recently purchased a \Duxbury
56kpci modem (a real modem, not a winmodem). I'm now trying to get this
to work with 4.4, so...

I noticed that PCI modems are detected in /sys/isa/sio.c. I added the
chip=20
id of the modem to the list of PCI devices (pci_ids), and now
sio_pci_probe detects the modem, but the sioprobe() fails. Before I got
digging into the sioprobe code (which seems rather complex), I'd like to
verify that my pci_ids entry is correct.

One thing I don't understand is the rid field of the pci_id structure.
Some modems have this set to 0x10, others to 0x14. I'm not sure what to
set it=20
to - how do I determine this?

Thanks for any help (btw. this is my first attempt to add anything to
the FreeBSD kernel, so please excuse any naive questions).

Peter