Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 07:47:09 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <peterg@ptree32.com.au>
To:        justin@shiningsilence.com
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Me trying single-user

Hi Justin,

> I tried making a CD with the recent ISO image, and getting it to boot off my
> white iBook.

 I'm pretty sure the white iBook uses the Pangea chip, which combines
the UniNorth/Keylargo chips of the early ibooks/imacs. I had hoped this
would 'just work', but apparently not :-(

> After this step:
> >    mountroot> cd9660:acd0
>
> With the first image, I got this:
>
> Mounting root from cd9660:acd0
> setrootbyname failed
> iso_mountroot: can't find rootvp
> Root mount failed: 6

 This is the error you get when the kernel can't locate the device part
of the root spec (e.g. type cd9660:lkjlkljljk for the same result). So,
the kernel must not have probed the ATA device.

 During the boot sequence, you should have seen lines like this (although
it should have been 'Pangea I/O Controller'):

macio0: <KeyLargo I/O Controller> mem 0x80000000-0x8007ffff at device 23.0 on pci1
atamacio0: <Mac-IO ATA Controller> mem 0x1f000-0x1ffff irq 19 on macio0
ata0 on atamacio0
atamacio1: <Mac-IO ATA Controller> mem 0x20000-0x20fff irq 20 on macio0
ata1 on atamacio1
atamacio2: <Mac-IO ATA Controller> mem 0x21000-0x21fff irq 21 on macio0
ata2 on atamacio2

 and more importantly, at the end of the boot sequence where the ATA driver
probes the disks attached to the controllers:

Initializing GEOMetry subsystem
ad0: 5729MB <TOSHIBA MK6014MAP> [ 12416/15/63 ] at ata0-master BIOSPIO
acd0: CDROM <MATSHITA CR-175> at ata1-master BIOSPIO

 I know it's tedious, but would you be able to type in and send the boot log ?

> I tried creating a new ISO with the new kernel files, but I didn't seem to be
> able to create anything bootable.  How does one get the newer versions of the
> kernel file onto the existing ISO image?  Do I need to mount the ISO as a vn
> device and copy the file over?

 Probably the easiest way is to mount the ISO, copy all the files from
it into a new directory tree, and overwrite the new kernel. When building
the ISO, you need a few non-standard tweaks so OpenFirmware will see
the files. From the NetBSD bootable CDROM howto
 (http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/bootcd.html#macppcimage)

 # mkisofs -o PPC.ISO -hfs -part -l -J -r -L /your_src_tree

 Another approach is to leave the CDROM in the drive, and net-boot the
new kernel: this will get you to the mountroot prompt, where the CDROM
can be used at the root filesystem.

 But, having said the above, I don't believe the new kernels will fix your
problem.

later,

Peter.