Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 06:21:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        daeron@Wit401305.student.utwente.nl, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pthread_cancel ?

> I am currently having the author of the SDL-library on my box trying to
> cook up a port of the SDL-library for FreeBSD.
>
> SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) is the library used by Loki Software to
> build CIV:CTP
>
> As I have seen now the entire library works perfectly ;-)
>
> except for one thing .... FreeBSD's pthread-implementation (libc_r)
> doesn't seem to have the pthread_cancel  method(s) implemented .. which
> make the threaded part of the library mallfunction ...
>
> My question is if there is any likely support considdered on adding those
> additional function calls to FreeBSD's PTHREAD implementation ?

You should search the mailing list archives (probably -hackers and
-current) for previous posts.

Some work needs to be done to libc in order to properly support
POSIX thread cancellation points.  I think Richard Seaman volunteered
to do this :-)

I've got some stale patches to add pthread_cancel and friends to
libc_r, but they will not support the POSIX mandated thread
cancellation points without changes to libc.

Dan Eischen
eischen@vigrid.com