Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 20:22:12 +0100
From:      Terje Normann Marthinussen <Terje.N.Marthinussen@cc.uit.no>
To:        Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
Cc:        Terje Normann Marthinussen <Terje.N.Marthinussen@cc.uit.no>, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: sys/i386/i386 locore.s swtch.s sys/i386/include pmap.h

> Just FYI, I recall seeing a message recently from Linus Torvalds (in a Linux
> newsgroup) indicating that there was evidence that Stepping 5 (and possibly
> earlier) P5 CPUs had a problem that affected operation of the Linux
> kernel.  Unfortunately I don't recall the substance of this message :-(.

Just got current-smp (current as ~13:00 GMT 27 nov 1996) up... sort of
up at least...

First atemps needed adjustments for NBUS, but that was easy enough. Maybe
it would be nice to print a suggested value? Not just that is should
be increased?

However then came:
BIOS basemem (633K) != RTC basemem (640K), setting to BIOS value
unknown bus type: 'XPRESS'

Followed by panic...
Argh, haven't had time to study what it would like to know about the bus.
If it is something special, anyone that has enough information to do
something about it?

Well, it worked in earlier releases, so I quickly commented out the panic()
and continued. Just didn't have the patience :)

Then:
Warning: current SMP kernel only tested with 2 CPUs.
Please report the results to:  <smp@freebsd.org>
  <return> to continue...
Application Processor #3 failed!
panic (cpu#0):

Yup, thats it.
Forcing it to run on just the two first cpus works though.
Seems to be something fishy somewhere though. Sendmail likes to
core dump after boot, and running make -j usually ends up with
kernel: pid 1338 (cpp), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

Haven't got further, but this machine has run Linux with smp support
earlier.

Hmm. We have another of these computers here. Maybe I should have a
look at the cpu steppings on the 2. cpu card on that one....

Terje Marthinussen
terjem@cc.uit.no