Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 07:49:54 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Mukhsein Johari <arashi1@pd.jaring.my>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's Filesystems...journaling?

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 08:37:32AM +0800, Mukhsein Johari wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a fairly general question about FreeBSD that I could not find an
> answer to. I searched everywhere!
> I have used OS/2 Warp (3 and 4), WinNT4 and since 2 years ago, linux
> (currently Mandrake 7.0). The question I need an answer to is, What is
> FreeBSD's FS called and where can I read up about it? Is it a journaling
> fs type? If not, why not? And how easy/difficult is it to replace the
> current FS with another?

The FreeBSD file system is UFS, or "Unix File system."  You won't find
much on it specifically, as it's the file system most modern UNIXes
base their file systems on -- i.e., Solaris.

It's not journaling.

Having said that, I would recommend UFS over ext2fs at *any* time.
I've treated my BSD boxes badly, and never lost data.

"not losing data", of course, also depends on your application.  A
lousy database system without rollbacks would hose you on any
platform.  :)

The most I've ever had to do is a "fsck -y" on a bad, bad crash, and
that was a couple years ago.

IIRC our "softupdates" addition is heading towards being a journaling
file system, but the journaling functions won't be ready for a while.

==ml

--
Michael Lucas
mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org