Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 11:56:01 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   KDE/Sparc

	I understand this is a FreeBSD mailing list, and although my example is
not taken from FreeBSD, I'm assuming this same problem could carry
accross any platform when making kde, (that... and I'm not part of, nor
do I know of any Solaris mailing lists... least of all for the old(er)
version(s) of Solaris in question here).
	I'm not much of a Solaris user, and after this past few hours trying to
get kde to work on a sparc, I'm definetly not much of an advocate for it
either. However, since the software we have was designed for
Solaris/Sparc architecture, I'll have to make-do.
	We're currently using Solaris Desktop Edition v 2.5.1, on several Sparc
4m/4u boxes. They share /usr/local over NFS to one of our FreeBSD boxes,
(basically because they have little drivespace left in /usr, and we
wanted to share kde to all of them). Kde is installed into /usr/local,
and qt is installed into /usr/local/qt. I downloaded the pre-compiled
binary distributions from ftp.kde.org for Solaris 2.6, (which is
supposed to work for Solaris 2.5.1); they installed fine using pkgadd,
no errors. I remove my .xinitrc file so as not to bring up the default
window manager, (I had previously compiled qvwm on these things),
startup x, and run kde. Kde dies, and produces the following errors:

ld.so.1: kbgndwm: fatal: relocation error: symbol not found:
XInternAtoms: referenced in /usr/local/qt/lib/libqt.so
ld.so.1: kcontrol: fatal: relocation error: symbol not found:
XInternAtoms: referenced in /usr/local/qt/lib/libqt.so
ld.so.1: kwm: fatal: relocation error: symbol not found: XInternAtoms:
referenced in /usr/local/qt/lib/libqt.so
ld.so.1: kfm: fatal: relocation error: symbol not found: XInternAtoms:
referenced in /usr/local/qt/lib/libqt.so
ld.so.1: krootwm: fatal: relocation error: symbol not found:
XInternAtoms: referenced in /usr/local/qt/lib/libqt.so

1072 Killed
1071 Killed, (etc - all the kde pid numbers)

	I figure this is more of a QT thing, but I'm not too familiar with QT.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd be happy to hear them. My
next course of action I think is going to be to compile QT using gcc
2.7.2 and see what I get.

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com