Date:      Tue, 1 Mar 2005 14:17:53 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        River <river_robert@yahoo.com.cn>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Help about debugging FreeBSD kernel core dump file

--Er1qpsOqk0l6oMce

Single line message.

On Tuesday,  1 March 2005 at 11:41:08 +0800, River wrote:
> Hi, Everyone:
>
> How can I debug the core dump file created by kernel panic? I try to
> use "gdb -core vmcore.0" (vmcore.0 is 4G file because I have 4G
> memory) and the gdb said: this is not a vaild core file. Why?

Processor dumps have a different format for core dumps.  Depending on
the version of FreeBSD, you use one of these forms:

(older)    gdb -k kernel.debug vmcore.0
(newer)    kgdb kernel.debug vmcore.0

You'll need a kernel compiled with debug symbols to make much sense of
the dump.  See
http://www.lemis.com/grog/Papers/Debug-tutorial/tutorial.pdf for more
details.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.

--Er1qpsOqk0l6oMce

--Er1qpsOqk0l6oMce--