Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 23:46:38 +0000
From:      George Cox <gjvc@extremis.demon.co.uk>
To:        Sean Heber <sean@bebits.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Are huge file systems bad?

On 12/01 15:25, Sean Heber wrote:

> 1)  Are huge file systems bad?

No.  They rule.  There are some 'issues' with large filesystems.  One is
inode allocation.  If a filesystem runs out of inodes you are stuffed --
the onlt thing you can do is back up the files somewhere else, create a
new filesystem with more inodes that the previous one and restore.  Very
dull.  One situation where this could happen is on large mail servers where
each message takes a file in the filesystem. (EG: Maildir format)

> I have concatenated two large drives together using vinum.  The resulting
> file system is 50Gig.

Woo hoo!  Vinum rules.  Get your company to donate disks to Greg! :-)

> 2)  Is there another way to structure this that would keep file systems
> small but be easy to manage if number 1 is bad?

You should attempt to profile your filesystem usage -- high priority / high
volume users and less active users maybe, and work from there.

> Our structure for the ftp site has the ftp dir for each user under
> /sites/ftp/usr.  So like this:
>
> usr/bdev1 usr/bdev2 usr/bdev3 usr/bdev4 usr/bdev5 ...
>
> As far as I can tell, that makes it very hard to break up all the space
> into smaller partitions.

Hmmmm.  See below

> So that's why I went the vinum route.  However, I've had conflicting
> reports that large file systems can be really dangerous.  So I'd like to
> know for sure.

50GB could well be dangerous if dropped on you from a great height. :-) One
thing to note is that FFS performs lookups in a directory in a linear
fashion.  (It keeps a cache to improve matters however).  This is why
putting all users home directories in one huuuge-ass directory is a bad
idea. This is why you see large sites refer to files in this kind of way

  /u/h/he/heber

Each level of the directory hierarchy has fewer entries so it can be
traversed faster.

best;

gjvc

--