Date:      Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:59:53 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        marius@alchemy.franken.de
Cc:        hrs@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-sparc64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Where are the Sparc64 Installation Boot Floppies?

----Security_Multipart(Fri_Jun_24_17_59_53_2005_057)--

Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de> wrote
  in <20050623231651.A29615@newtrinity.zeist.de>:

ma> On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 02:33:10PM -0500, Brett D. Estrade wrote:
ma> >
ma> > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:37:50 -0400, "John Baldwin" <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
ma> > said:
ma> > > On Thursday 23 June 2005 02:22 pm, David O'Brien wrote:
ma> > > > [ please don't top post - it looses context ]
ma> > > >
ma> > > > On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 01:01:18PM -0500, Brett D. Estrade wrote:
ma> > > > > Do the installation boot floppy images for sparc64 exist as the
ma> > > > > documentation claims, or are they a myth?
ma> > > >
ma> > > > They do not exist.  These document files are shared with other FreeBSD
ma> > > > architectures that do have boot floppies (i386 and alpha).
ma> > >
ma> > > You can bug bmah@ about making the references to floppies only show up in
ma> > > the
ma> > > i386 and alpha release notes.
ma> > >
ma> >
ma> > Would he also be able to note that you need to install through a serial
ma> > console?  That and the floppies thing were the only 2 "gotchas" that
ma> > plagued me after I thought I had gone through the effort of informing
ma> > myself about FreeBSD on Sparc64....of course this still leaves Robert in
ma> > a lurch with his U10 dilemma :\
ma> >
ma>
ma> Errata notes for 5.4 are in the works and 6.0 and probably 5.5 should
ma> work with the most common graphics chips, especially the onboard ones
ma> (see the creator(4) and machfb(4) man pages in -current). 6.1 probably
ma> will have some additional drivers for Sun graphics add-on cards.
ma>
ma> hrs, how is the errata comming along?

 Sorry for the delay, but I committed the entry just now.
 It is a bit lengthy as you pointed out but the 5.4R release
 notes cannot be modified after the actual release,
 so I decided to add all of the necessary information
 to the 5.4R errata document.

 If you found something wrong please let me know.  Thanks.