Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:52:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        patl@phoenix.volant.org
Cc:        alk@pobox.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Libraries

 * They can.  In fact, they will.  That's the problem.  If the newly
 * compiled application relies on something that was in .so.(N-1).x,
 * but isn't in the current .so.N.x, the link against .so will fail.
 * That's why we need to make the dependancy on libMumbleN-1 instead
 * of on libMumble; and why the patches in the port need to munge the
 * Makefiles to explicitly request a specific major and minor number
 * in the links.

This is about the best summary I've seen so far.

It also explains the "for ports that are used by many others" part in
my original mail...if we can update the shlib and all (if there are
any) depending ports at the same time, using the shlib version numbers
are quite adequate.

Also, if the change is really minor (like an extra argument to a
seldom-used function), it's quite easy to verify that all other ports
work fine.  libjpeg is one such example.

On the other hand, tcl...(ok, I'll stop here).

Satoshi