Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 1995 15:38:58 +0200
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
To:        brian@MediaCity.com (Brian Litzinger)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   New Cyclades Driver needs Major Device #?

   I've re-named all the routines to avoid conflicts with the existing
   FreeBSD cyclades driver.  I.E. my driver is 'cyb' as opposed to 'cy'.

You can simply remove the existing driver and replace it with our version,
The current driver is unfinished port of the NetBSD driver and I never got
it quite working, so it is better to get rid of it if better one is
available.

   Shall I request a major device number for it?  Or should we assume
   people will choose between mine and the existing one and assign
   their choice to the existing cy major device number?

I would propose reusing the existing one.

   p.s.s. while I'm here anyway, why are netBSD and FreeBSD different efforts?

Well, there are several possible reasons:

- Linux people's secret plan to make sure *BSD won't ever be successfull.

- USL's secret plan to make sure free operating systems won't ever be
successfull.

- BSDI's secret plan to make sure free BSD versions won't ever be
successfull.

- Free operating system authors have got too much ego.

I'll promise to donate $100 of my own, and, say $400 of my company money to
BSD (or Free operating system) Consortium if one will ever be set up to get
rid of this mess.

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN