Date:      Mon, 6 May 1996 00:55:39 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: dosfsck anyone?

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > A preen option is a Good Thing.  'fsck' itself has code to parse
> > /etc/fstab, skipping non-ufs filesystems.  One solution would be
> > to incorporate equivalent code in 'dosfsck'.  Possibly a more
>
> The one thing that scares me about this whole scenario is having DOS
> filesystems suddenly get checked when they weren't even looked at
> before, perhaps then to run into a bug which causes DOSFS corruption
> and some very unhappy user(s) who never even expected FreeBSD to take
> such liberties with their DOS partitions.

This would imply that fsck_msdos were inherently buggy (in the same
degree as the msdosfs code is by now).  fsck_* usually runs on the raw
device, bypassing all file system layers, since it's not even clear
whether or not the file system is mountable at all.

It will potentially only bite people running -current, and hey!, they
have to anticipate some brokeness anyway, and are responsible for a
good backup strategy, aren't they? :-)

This reminds me, dump_msdos(8)... :-) :-)

--
cheers, J"org