Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 1995 03:04:43 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        wilson@VNET.IBM.COM (Jeff Wilson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Thinkpad 360CE

Jeff Wilson stands accused of saying:
> But I already have that kernel on the boot floppy you gave me.  The
> installation program runs fine, but once I boot from the hard disk, it doesn't
> work.  I thought the kernel gets copied from the boot floppy to the hard disk.
> So, I should have the right kernel, but it still doesn't work.

No, the kernel on the floppy is the very specialk BOOTMFS kernel; the
kernel on your harddisk is the GENERIC kernel, which comes out of the
bindist.

> If I go into the config utility (booting with -c) from the hard disk, I have
> no problems in there, but once I go to the login prompt, it doesn't work.  I
> THINK this means that the kernel is fine, but some configuration file that is
> read on startup is changing the keymap.  Unfortunatly, I have no way of
> changing it (except MAYBE by modififing sysinstall, but I'm not sure exactly
> how I would have to do that.)

AFAIK, userconfig uses the BIOS for character I/O, so you're not seeing
anything relevant there.  You need some kind soul to provide you with an
alternate kernel and some way of getting it onto your disk.

> Jeff

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[