Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:05:14 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@picus.com>
To:        "Evan Tsoukalas" <evan@sourcee.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: NATd load question

Evan,

I have ~230 systems behind an AMD K6-2/350 w/64MB.  It's also the mail
server for all those people, and does some light web serving.  Uptime on
this box is 455 days (since I put it into service), and has been 100%
maintenaince free (except for adding/deleting users).

At another site, I deployed a 486/66 w/32MB to do NAT for about 50
workstations.  It was also 100% reliable for the 3 months it was in
service.  The customer hired their own IT person with linux experience.
They replace my NAT solution with a Linux box, and haven't been up for
more than 3 days at a time since.

Here's my IPFW rules:

00100 divert 8668 ip from any to any via ed1
00100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
00200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
65535 allow ip from any to any

I don't know if they're optimal, but they seem to work well enough

HTH,

--
  Troy Settle
  Network Analyst