Date:      Mon, 25 Jul 2011 08:33:24 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com>
Cc:        =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Tilman_Keskin=F6z?= <arved@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time to mark portupgrade deprecated?

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011, Michal Varga wrote:

> 3. Switching to portmaster means retraining for a different *mission
> critical* software, that behaves differently, and that I currently have
> no need for, because the former one works fine. To point out a specific
> examply that I see frequently in UPDATING:
>
>  If you use portmaster:
>  # portmaster -r icu
>
>  If you use portupgrade:
>  # portupgrade -fr devel/icu
>
> Ok, sure, easy task.. Hey..what? In portupgrade, -r builds all my ports
> recursively and updates those which are out of date, where -f forces it
> to rebuild every single one along the path. Clear, right?

More precisely:

portupgrade -r <port>  : upgrade this port, and any outdated ports that
                          depend on it.

portupgrade -fr <port> : upgrade this port, and update or rebuild all
                          ports that depend on it, outdated or not

portmaster <port>      : same as portupgrade -r, except it also checks
                          ports on which this one depends, like
                          portupgrade -rR

portmaster -r <port>   : same as portupgrade -frR

portmaster makes default a lot of the things that portupgrade needs to
be told (as above, but also -c and -C).  It also parallels some tasks.
But the overall killer feature is active maintenance.