Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2006 06:34:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Yeow C.H." <det_re@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Libpcap based: packet generator + capture file editor + bridge for IEEE802.3 on FreeBSD

Thanks Brian.

  Simply put Bit-Twist is smaller, do more, medium specific (Ethernet II - IEEE 802.3) suite.

  Bittwist (packet generator) does not differs much from tcpreplay  program. I would admit if you say tcpreplay can do everything that  bittwist can do. But bittwist implementation is much simpler and it  uses only libpcap library without libnet dependency.

  Its capture file editor, bittwiste, allow you to change most fields in  Ethernet, ARP, IP, ICMP, TCP, and UDP headers and you can specify your  own payload. It is possible for the payload to cover the ICMP, TCP, or  UDP header itself (checksum is corrected automatically). Tcprewrite  (part of Tcpreplay suite) allows you to change src/dst MAC/IP/port  only, but, it supports VLAN frames (Bit-Twist does not).

  Bittwistb (bridge) aids the injection of packets from an end host which  get forwarded across different LAN segments. It supports multiple ports  (up to 8, or more if you want it to). Tcpbridge supports only 2.

  Simply put, Bit-Twist is created not to compete with any existing  similar projects, i.e. Tcpreplay, but it is here in favor of freedom of  choice :) and also, Bit-Twist is currently being used as a practical  teaching material in Computer Network classes.

Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com> wrote:  On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 08:02:04AM -0700, Yeow C.H. wrote:
>     It is designed to compliment tcpdump, which by itself has done a great job
>     in capturing network traffic. With Bit-Twist, you can now regenerate the
>     captured traffic onto a live network. Packets are generated from saved tcpdump
>     capture file (trace file).

Interesting - how does it differ from /usr/ports/net-mgmt/tcpreplay ?

Regards,

Brian.