Date:      Tue, 30 May 2006 11:07:05 -0400
From:      Kurt Miller <kurt@intricatesoftware.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Cc:        Vadim Goncharov <vadimnuclight@tpu.ru>
Subject:   Re: diablo 1.5 died after 5 day uptime

On Friday 26 May 2006 1:29 pm, Vadim Goncharov wrote:

> >> Hmm, OK. Is there any way to tell Java that memory is about to end
> >> before killing ? Or may be a way to make GC to free some memory
> >> periodically? May be outside from java, undocumeted external
> >> signaling to diablo-jdk ? At last, does it respect login.conf limits
> >> at all, doing graceful shutdown before / trying to raise to hard limit ?
> >>

> > If your goal is to limit the amount of memory the jvm uses,
> > I would recommend using the standard command line arguments
> > that control the heap size (-Xmx & -Xms) and leave your limits
>
> How can I check default values of these on my system ?

Sorry for the delay - holiday weekend here. IIRC, the values
are set by the jvm depending on the amount of physical memory
in your system. I don't recall how you find out what they are.

> > high. Note that the jvm uses more memory then is controlled
> > by the -Xmx arg. You need to leave some head room for that if
> > your going to be setting your limits lower.
>
> OK, thanx. Is that overhead big?

It varies depending on what your application does. Overall,
I think you will find there is plenty of information on the
web about how to tune memory usage of the jvm.

-Kurt