Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 03:26:46 +0200
From:      "Martin Dvorak" <mdvorak@ninell.cz>
To:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   dynamic intelligent traffic shaping

Hi,

I've carefully read all messages about shaping the traffic on FreeBSD system
on this mailing list and have two questions:

1. What is the best solution (dummynet or altq or something else) in the
following situation: FreeBSD system on Internet server (on T1), each
customer has its own IP address(es), each customer's monthly traffic has to
be kept at some level (probably by using some clever algorithm (in a script
probably), which dynamically (I suppose every hour) changes the traffic
limit on customer's IP address(es) to reach as close as possible to monthly
limit set by administrator)? That means I need to change shaping speed for
each IP address quite often but also need the system to be stable as much as
possible.

2. What is the best solution (dummynet or altq or something else) in the
following situation: large Internet intranet (I do not know how it is called
officialy but I mean an intranet with only one link to Internet (512kb or
more) but each computer on this intranet has its own worldwide
(non-intranet) IP address and normal (non-limited) access to Internet) with
thousands computers on this intranet, a bridge/router on the link between
the intranet and Internet. This bridge/router works like this: every
intranet packet routes in the intranet with no traffic shaping (of course),
but as for packets comming to/from Internet it should shape the traffic of
each IP to give every computer on the intranet the same speed to/from
Internet. That is the algorithm for shaping the speed of each IP address has
to be much more clever than in the first case, it has to be able to change
to shaping speed much more frequently (I guess every 5 minutes or even
fewer) while changing the speed of much more IP addresses. If not talking
about the algorithm (I will describe my idea shortly on the end of this
message), I don't even know if it is possible to do it on some acceptable
hardware configuration because I guess that only the changing of speed on
each IP address so frequently would put very high load on the system, or
not?

Thank you very much for any though, suggestion or advice. I will appreciate
it very much because I really do not have very much experience with these
shaping/routing and related matters.

Regards,
Martin

PS:
Maybe it will be easier for you to understand what I need in the second
case, if I describe why I need it. So, I need it because I want to give each
regular user on the intranet the same conditions. I am afraid of people, who
would put a proxy on their connection to our intranet and then used this
connection for all other computers in their company or even for somebody
else. That would mean that these people would steal some part of the link to
Internet from the regular users and they would have worse connection to
Internet even though they have not broken any rule. That is why I think of
this algorithm which would shape the speed of every user (IP address) by
their usual traffic. That means: if the line is free, any packet can pass,
if it is not, packets from the users which generate smaller traffic will
have higher priority. I hope, it could work this way, because I do not want
to limit each user's monthly traffic or something like that.