Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 13:27:09 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        tech-kern@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Swap overcommit (was Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2))

Technical follow-up:

Contrary to what I previously said, a number of tests reveal that
Solaris, indeed, does not overcommit. All non-read only segments,
and all malloc()ed memory is reserved upon exec() or fork(), and the
reserved memory is not allowed to exceed the total memory. It makes
extensive use of read only DATA segments, and has a NON_RESERVE
mmap() flag.

Though the foot firmly planted in my mouth ought to prevent me from
saying anything else, I must say that it does explain a few things
to me...

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Would you like to go out with me?"
	"I'd love to."
	"Oh, well, n... err... would you?... ahh... huh... what do I do
next?"